- The PSAT/NMSQT test for Juniors will be Saturday, October 19, 2019.
- The PSAT/NMSQT test is the test that qualifies students to become a National Merit Semifinalist and potentially earn the National Merit Scholarship.
- This test is optional, but is HIGHLY recommended, since it will provide students crucial practice for the SAT, which they will take in the Spring of 2020.
- Registration forms will be available in the CHS Counseling office throughout the summer. Students must register in the CHS Principal’s Office August 13 through September 9. Bring completed registration form and checks payable to CHS for $22.
- It is strongly encouraged to register for PSAT on Tuesday, August 13 (Schedule Pick-Up Day)
- Register online at www.actstudent.org.
- It is recommended that students take the ACT during the latter part of their junior year.
- CHS is a national test site for ACT for the December and June test dates.
- All juniors will take the SAT in the Spring of 2020. There is no need to register for this test; all students will complete their registration in school. This is a free test.
- If students wish to take the SAT again during one of the national test dates, register online at www.collegeboard.org.
- CHS is a national test site for SAT for the August test date.
ACT VS. SAT
- While all juniors will take the SAT in the Spring of 2020, it is recommended that students take both the SAT and the ACT. Some students find that the ACT caters to their strengths more so than the SAT, and vice versa.
- Most colleges will accept either test for admission, although some colleges do prefer one test over another. Contact the admissions office at the schools you are considering to find out if they have a preference.
COLLEGE NIGHT FOR JUNIORS/PARENTS
- SAVE the DATE! College 101 will be held December 5, 2019 7pm-8:30pm. This is an important first step that all juniors should attend with their families. Listen to the announcements, watch for e-blasts and fb or twitter postings for further information.
- You are allowed three school-related absences per year to visit colleges. Remember to pick up a college visitation form in the Attendance or Counseling Office before you visit the college.
COLLEGE VISITS AT CHS
- Numerous college representatives visit CHS each year from September through December. Check announcements, CHS Counseling website, and the Counseling Office for dates, times and instructions on how to register to attend.
- Students must register before the presentation date.
- Military recruiters frequently visit CHS. Check in the Counseling Office for dates and times of visits.
- It is your responsibility to make certain you are eligible to participate in Division I or Division II sports in college. You must register with the NCAA Clearinghouse online at www.eligibilitycenter.org by the end of your junior year. Final transcripts at the end of your senior year are also required. Check approved CHS courses online and make sure you meet ACT/GPA requirements as well.
- Testing out of a class takes place twice per school year, in August & December. Test out forms and informational sheets are available in department chair classrooms, the Counseling Office, and on the Counseling website.
CHS COUNSELING WEBSITE
- Visit the CHS Counseling pages for useful links for scholarships, searching for colleges, testing information, and career information.